Saturday, February 9, 2008

Goodbye Cardio

Watching TV recently I was thrilled hearing the news about getting off the cardio whirlwind of the past and finally realizing that real weight loss and health is largely dependant on resistance muscle training. Make no mistake, we need to walk with all the benefits of deep breathing and movement for the lymphatic system, but nothing will preserve our bone and muscle, even reverse the aging process, as well as doing resistance training. Whether it is using resistance bands or a set of barbells, we must realize the importance of this type of exercise, especially as we age for we loose muscle mass when older.

I have engaged in muscle building and training for years now but have seen myself fall off the wagon on occasion. When this did happen, weight crept on and my health deteriorated. Never did I run for the treadmill for I knew better. What I did do was get control of myself and run for the barbells instead. They never disappointed me. Finally, finally, one can, with no guilt, say goodbye to the endless hours on the treadmill. Glad I never fell into that trap.

Norma Jean

No comments: